Friday, February 26, 2010

The Assault On Anywhen via Chris Brogan

I enjoy reading the posts and thoughts of Chris Brogan.  He's a smart guy.  He's the kind of guy who shares openly.  He's taught me a lot.  Today, I got the following post from Chris, and I have to tell you that it really hit home with me.  Its what I've wanted to say to a number of people for some time nowSpending the last four days dealing with a miserable Blackberry experience that has taken up far too much of my time, the rigors of work, and trying to find time for my family, I feel the same way Chris does. 

Thanks to Chris Brogan for articulating what so many of us feel.  And thanks for allowing me to share this with my network.  Hopefully we cal ALL learn from Chris this time.  You can find the original post at:http://www.chrisbrogan.com/the-assault-on-anywhen/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chrisbrogandotcom+%28[chrisbrogan.com]%29#

I’m frustrated. I just spent about 20 hours without connection to the web. No email. No Twitter. No blog comments. No nothing. The technical reason was that my flight was seriously delayed, then held in the air, and then when I got to the UK (where I write this), I learned that neither of my phones is GSM-enabled, so I’m without communications technology.

But none of that is why I’m frustrated.

I have SEVERAL emails from people complaining that they didn’t hear back from me. In most of them, it was within 24 hours of the original mail. In other times, I hadn’t been in touch and it was okay that they nudge me. But the ones from within 24 hours. Seriously?

This Has to Stop

None of us are performing surgery (unless you are). You’re not calling me for the antidote to a poison. We MUST police ourselves about our sense of urgency. What happens, and I can be guilty, is that when WE need something, we push for it, not really taking into consideration the other side of the equation. So instead of just ticking something off our list, we come off as insistent and insensitive to other people’s situations.

How I Am Going to React

I’m saying no. I’m going to say no to a BOATLOAD of things I’ve originally said yes to, simply because I’m very frustrated. I can appreciate your need to get things done. I can appreciate your wanting to include me. But I can’t be held to a 24 hour clock.

We’re Ruining Anywhen

Anywhen: the problem the Internet solved. I’m blogging this at 4:38AM eastern time. It’s 9:38AM UK time. You can read this anyWHEN. See the beauty of it?

(AnyWHERE is what telephones solve. Get it?)

But when we have everyone held to urgency and time locks, we’ve ruined Anywhen. And I am a citizen of that world. I am an Internet person who is being pushed to constrained time, and I think I’m done.

(Mind you, I’m severely jet-lagged, had a really really bad day of travel, and haven’t had access to the net for a while, so I’m also a bit over-reactive.)

But please, can we please lose our addiction to urgency? Because I’m in a serious mood to defend AnyWHEN vigorously.

Posted via web from Mark Edwards 3.0

blog comments powered by Disqus