Monday, July 26, 2010

20 Years Ago Today

I have a disability.  I'm legally blind. 

I don't let it get in the way of my life, largely because my parents taught me that I could do anything I wanted to do, and for the most part that's the case.  The only thing I can't do is drive a car, and while its a massive inconvenience, its far from the end of the world.

Twenty years ago today, The Americans With Disabilities Act was signed into law.  it gave one in five Americans rights they never had before, and changed millions of people's lives.

Is the act perfect?  No.  Is it well intentioned?  Yes.  Does it change stereotypes and misconceptions about the disabled?  Unfortunately not.  But its been a huge assist to people who need it in countless ways. 

Sometimes Government gets it right, and the ADA is a great start.  Two decades after it went into law, there is still a way to go before society accepts the disabled and appreciates the contributions we make every day.  Please take 30 seconds and watch the video below.  

For those who have benefited from the ADA, congratulations.  For those who have gained a greater understanding of the disabled and what being disabled really means, thank you.  And for those who still don't "get it", I pray for you.

Posted via email from Mark Edwards 3.0

blog comments powered by Disqus