Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Beatles - Live On The Ed Sullivan Show (Full Performance)

Hard to believe, but this happened on a Sunday night 47 years ago today.

I still have a 3 inch reel of audio tape with the performance. I remember my father holding a microphone up to the speaker of our Zenith console TV recording the Beatles songs and telling me I was seeing history. I was 5, I didn't understand it but I did love the Beatles.

I'm a lot older now, and I understand it completely. I've seen how the Beatles have influenced countless musicians and the entire world. I see how my middle son is completely obsessed (hopefully in a good way) with them. And I smile whenever I hear them.

I'm not sure I even know where to find a machine to safely play that tape my dad made on the Wollensak, but I thank the person who found it on video and shares it for all of us to enjoy.



But wait, there's more. Turns out today is also the 50th anniversary of the day the Beatles first played The Cavern Club in Liverpool. Here's the link from Rolling Stone.
blog comments powered by Disqus